Sunday 27 January 2013

Burns unit


http://youtu.be/BJwy2cm9QTo
Lyrics: Ae fond kiss, and then we sever [ae = one] Ae fareweel, alas, for ever! Deep in heart-wrung tears I'll pledge thee, Warring sighs and groans I'll wage thee. Who shall say that Fortune grieves him, While the star of hope she leaves him? Me, nae cheerful twinkle lights me; [nae = no] Dark despair around benights me. I'll ne'er blame my partial fancy, Nothing can resist my Nancy: For to see her was to love her; Love but her, and love for ever. Had we never loved sae kindly, [sae = so] Had we never loved sae blindly, Nor never met - nor never parted, We would never have been sae broken-hearted. Fare-thee-weel, my first and fairest Fare-thee-week, my best and dearest Thine be ilka joy and treasure, [ilka = every] Peace, Enjoyment, Love and Pleasure! Ae fond kiss, and then we sever Ae fareweel, alas, for ever Deep in heart-wrung tears I'll pledge thee, Warring sighs and groans I'll wage thee. Written by Robert Burns. Eddi Reader at Celtic Connections 2009.

How can you say the Scots aren't romantic? Even Andy Murray smiles these days. (But maybe not today).

I experienced my first ever Burn's Night last night and jolly brilliant it was too. My Glaswegian cousin has moved to Brighton and invited me and the old man to a traditional Burns supper.

We started with homemade cock-a-leekie soup which was delicious. Sandy's lovely wife Dorothy was concerned about the size of the haggis so she had four, just to get the perfect result, and that she did.

Sandy addressed the haggis which I tried to film but he would keep swaying, or was that the clear gravy (whisky)?
http://youtu.be/HmVXkA5Hg08
And which sassenach at Marks and Spencer thought it would be a good idea to put pork in their haggis? We didn't eat that one.

Scottish cheeses were the best way to finish the meal, so today the diet starts. Again.

I probably took the tartan theme a bit far, I think there were four different ones, but hey, it was fun!

So now up on the hills of eastern Brighton, there's a little bit of Glasgow.

Lang may yer lum reek.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: