Monday 6 August 2012

Eat, Fast and Live Longer


If you are like the 20 million viewers who watched Mr Bolt for 9 seconds last night, then why not spend a bit longer watching this, it might be the only way we mere mortals can be as 'fast'.

Michael Mosley presents Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer on BBC Two at 21:00 on Monday 6 August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mgxf

“I decided I couldn't manage ADF (Asian Dub Foundation?), it was just too impractical. Instead I did an easier version, the so-called 5:2 diet. As the name implies you eat normally 5 days a week, then two days a week you eat 500 calories if you are a woman, or 600 calories, if you are a man.

There are no firm rules because so far there have been few proper human trials. I found that I could get through my fast days best if I had a light breakfast (scrambled eggs, thin slice of ham, lots of black tea, adding up to about 300 calories), lots of water and herbal tea during the day, then a light dinner (grilled fish with lots of vegetables) at night.

On my feed days I ate what I normally do and felt no need to gorge. I stuck to this diet for 5 weeks, during which time I lost nearly a stone and my blood markers, like IGF-1, glucose and cholesterol, improved. If I can sustain that, it will greatly reduce my risk of contracting age-related diseases like cancer and diabetes.”



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: