Saturday 15 December 2012

A bleeding dangerous episode


Q. I take the anticoagulant warfarin and I have read that drinking cranberry juice may increase my risk of bleeding. Would that hold for cranberry sauce as well? I love it.

A. There is still no consensus that cranberries interact with warfarin, but British health authorities have issued a warning about this combination. It is likely to apply to cranberries and cranberry sauce as well as juice. A small taste might not hurt, but we would discourage you from overdoing. The consequence could be a dangerous bleeding episode.

Some people use cranberry for type 2 diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), scurvy, inflammation of the lining around the lung (pleurisy), and cancer.
...course they bloody do...
Who knew?
It's beginning to look like a dull Christmas. No turkey, no cranberry sauce, no Brussel sprouts (hurrah) and no binge drinking, so I had better start now.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments: