Friday 28 December 2012

Hopping over the pond for help


I saw my lovely nieces yesterday. They both live in America and I remembered that earlier this year I had read an American blog on

Breast Cancer Topic: Multiple Sclerosis and Breast Cancer

community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum_id=68...
It was great to discover that I was not such an oddity and there are folks out there with the same problems. I just wanted to see if there was any way to explain why I feel constantly tired.

They are a friendly bunch and I will work on the 'humor'...


Aug 30, 2012 09:01 AM Dotty wrote:
I am a British mum, aged 54, diagnosed with breast cancer last year and relapsing remitting MS 24 years ago. My mother, sister and brother had BC but I was told it was not 'familial'. I could not find much help in England and have read your posts with interest! I have found the only way to get through this horrible time is with an enormous sense of humour. (www.everythingsgonetitsup.blogspot.com) I have hidden the MS from the rest of the world for the last two decades but now I'm bald, with a stick and one breast missing, I'm not sure how much longer I can hide either condition. Could Fatigue be caused by either BC or MS or is possible to have both? Can anyone help? Thanks!
So Cal
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 824

Aug 30, 2012 04:01 PM Becker wrote:
Dotty- I have had MS since 1997 and although I have had a milder course of MS, I feel the fatigue from MS almost daily. I am especially tired now due to recent bilateral mastectomy. BC treatments can make you fatigued as well. Hard to sort through it sometimes isn't it? I used to take Provigil for MS fatigue. I have an appt. soon with new neurologist and will get some more. It is strong but definitely gets me through. Best of luck to you on this journey.
Rebecca
Dx 3/2012, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 2
Dx 3/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Surgery 04/10/2012 Lumpectomy (Both)
Surgery 08/09/2012 Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Both)
Ga
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,937


Aug 30, 2012 04:13 PM Stanzie wrote:
I agree yes with MS there is fatigue and with BC especially going through treatments and perhaps a bit of depression(?) fatigue again. I have used provigil and it is certainly a life saver but I found once I no longer had estrogen that it wasn't enough so my Doc put me on Adderall. It helps me more with the fatigue and being able to move but provigil helped more cognatively, I think, kind of cleared out the cob webs at the same time helping with the fatigue. Since the Adderall is the type of med that the presc. has to be mailed every month and my Doc's office isn't good about checking messages I have the provigil to help me through or when I need more cognative help... hope this makes sense.
Dotty, just remember at the least the bald part isn't permanant - can't wait to look at the blog you listed - humor always helps! 
Dx 2/1/2010, DCIS, <1cm, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-


Eastern OR
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 84

Aug 30, 2012 04:29 PM Spica16 wrote:
Hello & Welcome Dotty!
Well, yes & yes & yes. MS definitely causes fatigue, and can be one of it's major symptoms. BC treatment definitely can wear you out, although over time, it does get better. And, of course, you are blessed with the Double Whammy, so fatigue is multiplied and fortified.
You've been able to hide your MS for 24 years? Wow, that's great! Sounds like it has been kind to you, and you have wonderful coping skills. Why hide your conditions? Wear them proudly - you are a survivor and a warrior, and an inspiration to others! Not only have you made it through the wretched treatment, with scars to show, but you are now on the other side and back into life. Swim away, Dotty! As far as MS goes, if you are still mobile, you are holding the beast at bay. I think the references to the 2012 Olympics on your blog are so appropriate. You, too, are a winner!
I, also, am a uniboober, with a stick, but no longer a bald head. Oh, it was a shiny one for a while there!  My hair is 3 inches long and sticking out straight. I look like my dog's hedgehog toy! I checked out your blog - I like your hair-growth video! The tennis ball and guinea pig comparison is funny! You already know the secret to getting through all this - a good sense of humor!!!
Welcome to the group. Hopefully, we can answer your questions, and look forward to your ideas and input. But most especially, your humor!!!
Take Care ~ Shar     
             
Dx 8/22/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

No comments: