Friday 1 February 2013

My boy Bill, who's as big and as strong as a tree



Although this sounds like an adventure story, Bill went to Brazil he didn't say anything about a desire to become Batman. Without a rope or hard hat in sight, his text read: 'all's well.' So that means I don't worry?

This is an earlier email from him:

"I have had a very crazy week. On Monday I met up with farmer Fred in Ponta du Tulha. Just between Itacare and Ilheus. He turned out to be a mad Parisian rasta who had lived in Brasil for the last 30 years. He had dreadlocks down to his waist and huge purple sunglasses. When he first met us he had a smile from ear to ear and hugged us all. We knew instantly he was completely bonkers but I bloody loved it. He drove us up a huge mountain in an old 1970's Chevrolet. It felt after every turn the car would breakdown, but it kept on going.

After an hour of driving on rocky roads we arrived at the top of the mountain to see one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. We looked down onto a huge jungle of vegetation and trees and then past the jungle was endless sand and sea everywhere we looked. The colours were so vivid and alive. You could even call it paradise!

It was tough work on the farm, I say farm... it was a jungle! I have never sweated so much. We chopped down many banana trees, plucked coconuts and harvested cacau. Fred worked us hard but was a good man and fed us well. Sadly the stay did not last long though. On the second night a HUGE thunderstorm brewed. The eye of the storm went right over our mountain. Me, George and Jonny were sleeping in tents on the land. Lightning struck 10 metres from our tent! We felt ground move around us. We all turned into kittens. Completely terrifying. So we ran back to Fred´s hut through all the lightning and took shelter from the storm. All the power had been cut off and it was completely pitch black. I could not even see my hand in front of me. That night we all stayed up while Fred made homemade pizzas on a fire stove and we drank and told stories by candle light. It was a special night.

Sadly in the morning we found out the lightning had hit Fred´s generator. He had many problems and there was nothing we could do to really help. So we collect 60 coconuts in the morning for him to sell at the market and we hitchhiked back to Itacare. I have really fallen in love with Itacare this week. Life has been very easy, almost too easy. I sit on my hammock and drink fresh coffee in the mornings and read Hemmingway, then in the afternoon I have a siesta on the beach and sip on acai. bliss.

I will leave this Sunday for Lencois. I have friend driving from Salvador. A new adventure awaits, I hope..."


In the meantime, back in Blighty, 2013 is turning out to be the unluckiest year for some of us. My poor sister Emma has broken her pelvis, lovely Dorothy is in hospital and Clare's eyes are having difficulty focussing. And she is sure it's not because of too much Harvey's ale. Get well soon, all of you.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: