Saturday 12 October 2013

Pig, it's a stye

It only hurts when I blink.


The only treatment for a stye is application of warm compresses apparently according to three pharmacists. I thought I had left my teenage years long ago. (You did. Ed) So this is self-care at home, you cleanse the affected eyelid with tap water or with a mild, non-irritating soap or shampoo (such as baby shampoo) to help clean crusted discharge. Cleansing must be done gently and while the eyes are closed to prevent eye injuries. Why do I never read the whole thing? I've just burnt my eye ball. And here's the good news, if a stye bursts, care must be taken to cleanse the wound to prevent reinfection.

You are highly advised not to lance the stye, as serious infection can occur as a result. The infection could spread to the surrounding tissues and areas.

So I'll put away the lance.

Eye stye sufferers should avoid eye makeup (e.g., eyeliner), lotions, and wearing contact lenses, since these can aggravate and spread the infection (sometimes to the cornea).

I've got to throw away all my eye makeup. And I'm ignoring the next paragraph.

Surgery is the last resort in stye treatment. Styes that do not respond to any type of therapies are usually surgically removed. Stye surgery is performed by an ophthalmologist and generally under local anaesthesia. The procedure consists of making a small incision on the inner or outer surface of the eyelid, depending if the stye is pointing externally or not. After the incision is made, the pus is drained out of the gland, and very small and unnoticeable sutures are used to close the lesion. It is common for the removed stye to be sent for histopathological examination to rule out the possibility of skin cancer.

Who knew?




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: